Pulses are delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry peas, chickpeas, lentils, and beans. They are a great source of protein and fiber as well as being lower in fat than many types of meat. I chose to use lentils and variety beans in this dish and made them sprouted.
One study that included lentils and mung beans among other types of legumes compared the nutrients between their seeds and sprouts. As it turns out, the sprouts have more Vitamin C, and B vitamins thiamine, niacin and riboflavin compared to the seeds.
In South India, Vada is the most common dish we have in our breakfast/Snack with tea/coffee. Its one of the very old traditional dish, which contains more fiber and protein in it. Have named this recipe as Navarathna Vada (Nava means 9 and Rathna means Valuable), because have used 9 types of beans/lentils which gives us good health.
- Moong Beans – 1/4 Cup
- Black Eyed Peas – 1/4 Cup
- Rajma Beans – 1/4 Cup
- Black Channa – 1/4 Cup
- Kabool Channa / Garbanzo Beans – 1/4 Cup
- Horse Gram – 1/4 Cup
- Methi Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chori – 1/4 Cup
- Urad Seeds – 1/4 Cup
- Green Chillies – 4-5 (depends on spiciness)
- Black Pepper whole – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt for taste
Ingredients to Fry:
- Peanut Oil / Sesame Oil
Method for Sprouting:
- First, rinse all the sprouting ingredients separately and soak overnight.
- Next day, drain the water and allow to sprout for two to three days. Air should flow properly, to get beans and lentils should be sprouted.
- By the third day, you will get correct sprouts for all the beans and lentils.
Method for Vada:
- In a Mixy Jar, take sprouted beans and lentils, put all grinding ingredients and grind it coarsely.(Add little water, to get the thick consistency of batter) The Vada batter is ready to deep fry.
- In a Kadai/Pan, take oil and put in the medium flame. Once the oil becomes hot, from the hand/spoon take little batter as small ball size and put in the oil slowly. Repeat this for 8-10 times (It may depend on the size of the Kadai also)
- Then, turn over the Vada till it fries crispy and turns to golden yellow color.
- Then remove and serve it with chutney / with tea or coffee in the evening.