Puran poli, also known as holige in Kannada, is an Indian sweet flatbread from many regions of India as evident by the names such as bobbatlu/bakshalu (Telugu), Puran Poli (Maharashtra), Holige/Bele holige/Obbattu (Karnataka), Vedmi(Gujarat).
Holige has different verities across regions in India. In Karnataka, we prepare Holige/Obbattu with variant fillings like Toor Dal, Channa Dal, Rava, Til (Ellu), Dry fruits, Shenga (Kadalekayi), Coconut(Kobbari) with Jaggery/Sugar. In this recipe, I am using toor dal with jaggery filling. Usually, the dough may be made with all-purpose(maida) / Wheat flour.
- All-Purpose / maida / Plain flour / Refined flour – 1 Cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Water – as required
- Toor Dal Washed – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Jaggery / Bella / Gud – 3/4 Cup
- Cardamom – 2-3 Whole
Picture wise Instruction:
- First, take a mixing bowl add flour, turmeric, 1 tsp of oil, salt and mix it properly. Then add water little by little and make a smooth dough.
- Then add 1/4 cup of oil to the dough and mix it properly. Then rest the dough for 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, start preparing the filling of toordal with Jaggery. In a cooking pot, take 1 cup of toor dal, add turmeric, 1 tsp of oil, 3 cups of water. In a medium flame cook this until toor dal cooked 70% (Dal should cook well and it doesn’t change the shape)
- Then drain the water from dal, add jaggery and mix properly. Allow it to cook further till it gets the thickness. Make sure to cook on medium flame and it shouldn’t burn (You should stir this mixture continuously) at the end add cardamom.
- Then switch off the flame/stove and grind it using mixer/blender. (Should grind when the mixture is hot, then we can avoid lumps in the filling/stuffing/Hoorana)
- Make small balls out of the hoorana/filling and get ready to prepare Holige/Obbattu.
- Below video shows how to prepare Holige/obbatu from prepared dough and filling. Please follow the same instruction while preparing.
- Serve Holige with Ghee/Mango Seekarane/Mango Pulp, it will be yummy.
To be happy, health is the key factor,
For healthy body and mind, Good taste and nutritious food is essential,
Good Taste Nutrition comes from Natural, Organic and Heirloom(ancient seeds, nati, jawari).
Monthly Millet Grocery Shop Natural Products