Ashtanga Hrudaya Chapter 6 mentions Laja qualities and its benefits/effects.
Properties and Benefits
- Laja, Kheel (fried paddy)
- Laja is prepared by frying paddy.
- Light to digest.
- Sweet astringent in taste.
- Relieves thirst
- Relives vomiting
- Relives diarrhea
- Helps cure diabetes
- Helps mitigate obesity.
- Mitigates kapha, pitta and cough
- Pacify kapha and pitta dosha.
- Increases appetite
- Easy to digest
- Is cold in potency.
- Laja/Kheel which is used during festivals in India to offer to deities are considered as auspicious.
- It is widely used in ayurvedic diet recommendation for healthy as well as in many disease conditions, and it is also given to patients after pancha karma procedures.
- It is parched rice, which is the lightest form of rice compared to all other rice preparations.
- It is nutritive, soothing and wholesome, it replenishes body tissues and remove toxins from body.
- It gives instant energy, used in lethargy, fatigue, anemia and in low blood pressure .
- It improves strength of body.
- It is used in treatment of vomiting in Ayurveda, also given to women in first trimester to cure morning sickness.
- It is very beneficial in acidity, gas and in Indigestion.
- It acts as a diuretic, used in inflammations and urinary disorders.
- It is a good option as a snack for diabetic and obese person.
- It helps in weight loss.
- It is used in burning sensation.
- It is useful in bleeding disorders like bleeding piles, bleeding from nose and heavy periods.
- Used in numbness, neuritis, dizziness and syncope.
- It helps in reducing cough production.
- It controls excessive hunger and thirst.
- Used in alcoholism
How to use Laja/Kheel:
- Laja mand: Boil it with water (1 cup laja + 2 cup water) add pinch of saunt (dry ginger powder) and Pippali whole/powder, strain and drink little warm.
- Laja gruel: Boil it with water to make thick gruel.
- Laja Kheer: boil it with milk and add sugar to make kheer.
- Laja can eaten directly.